Sunday, November 1, 2009

Inspired

It takes a special event to 'feel the love' when walking down the streets of NYC. I was fortunate enough to experience a glimpse of the 2009 New York City Marathon this morning. It was truly inspiring. Never had I seen such a sea of humanity..so diverse, so united at the same time. Each runner had a story, a goal - many had them written on their shirts; some stories or goals known only to that person. I watched their faces as they came off the Queensborough Bridge at mile 16, finally entering Manhattan - some cheering louder than us, some grimacing, some waving their country's flag, some talking on cell phones to find their loved ones.

I ended up standing there for 2 hours -transfixed by the never-ending stream of runners. A few minutes into watching, I realized I was surrounded by an English crowd - all holding signs for the MacMillan Cancer Support organization out of London. They would scream when one of their own would come by. But most moving was the constant clapping; the cheers for random people whose names they only knew from their shirts - "Well done Danny," "Go Nicole!" "Yay Italia!"

There was something so good in that moment. Looking at thousands of people achieving their goals, all their demons pushed aside for this day...and then looking at the people from around the world that came together to uplift and encourage. It even beat people watching at an airport baggage claim. "Love is actually all around...."

Maybe I should start running.

2 comments:

Kylie and crew. said...

What a great post Kelly!

Monica Hartzell said...

That is so amazing! Thanks for sharing!